How to Calculate Interest Rate on a Car Loan
If you’re planning to take out an auto loan for your next new vehicle in Corona, you should expect to be charged interest. With that said, you may be wondering how much your monthly payments and total amount owed will be impacted by your interest rate. To learn more, join BMW of Murrieta as we explore how interest rates are determined and how to calculate interest rate on a car loan, below.
What Is an Interest Rate?
Before we dive deep into how to calculate auto loan interest, we’ll need to look further into what interest is and how your interest rate is arrived at. When you purchase a car on credit, your lender technically owns your vehicle until it’s been fully paid off. You can think of your interest rate as a fee you pay the lender for borrowing their money to buy your vehicle. The interest rate you’re quoted is determined by a number of factors, including:
- Principal Amount: This is the total amount you wish to borrow with your auto loan.
- Loan Term: The loan term is the set amount of time you’ll have to repay your loan. Generally speaking, short-term loans have higher monthly payment amounts with less interest paid in the end, while long-term loans have smaller monthly payment amounts with higher interest paid in the end.
- Repayment Schedule: Most auto loan payments are made on a monthly basis, but you could save money in the long-run if you’re able to make payments more frequently. Thanks to compounding, you pay less interest when you make more payments.
- Repayment Amount: A portion of every payment you make goes to interest and another portion goes to repaying your total principal amount.
How to Figure Interest on a Car Loan for First Payment
When you’re calculating auto loan interest for your first payment, use this simple calculation:
- Divide your interest rate by the number of monthly payments you will be making in this year.
- Multiply it by the balance of your loan – for the first payment, this will be your total principal amount.
This gives you the amount of interest you’ll pay the first month.
How to Calculate Auto Loan Interest Moving Forward
Once you start making auto loan payments, you’ll want to calculate your new balance to figure the interest you’ll pay in the coming months. Here’s the calculation you’ll follow:
- Subtract the interest you just calculated from the payment you just made. This will leave you with the amount that you have paid off the loan principal.
- Deduct this total from your original principal to get your new loan balance.
Human error and the need to round your answer up or down means you won’t have an exact calculation every time you work it out, but you can consider this a reliable basis for how to figure interest on a car loan. This will help you find a vehicle that works with your budget, creating a simpler car-buying process for Riverside shoppers.
Need Additional Help? Consult with BMW of Murrieta
We understand if you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed! If you have lingering questions surrounding how to calculate interest rate on a car, the friendly finance team at BMW of Murrieta is here to assist. When you visit our dealership near Ontario, our finance specialists will walk you through the process, step-by-step. You may also find our monthly payment calculator to be of help, and if you’d like, we invite you to apply for BMW financing online.
More from BMW of Murrieta
Have you always dreamed of driving a luxury BMW vehicle in Corona? If you’re shopping on a budget, you’d do well to consider the loaner cars for sale at BMW of Murrieta. What are the benefits of buying a loaner car from the dealer? For starters, you should know that when you buy a loaner car for…
BMW of Murrieta, now located at 41430 Auto Mall Parkway Murrieta, CA 92562, recently celebrated the grand opening of its beautiful new Southern California facility. At nearly 70,000 square feet, it is BMW’s most-advanced dealership to date with myriad customer amenities and state-of-the art technology. “Our company has had the privilege of doing business in California since 1983,” said Rick Hendrick, chairman of…
The 2019 BMW X3 can tow up to 4,400 pounds. This ability makes it perfect for drivers in the Corona area who are looking for a luxury SUV that does not sacrifice power and performance. Let’s take a closer look at the towing, payload, and performance capabilities of the exciting new X3. We want to…