If you’ve recently purchased a new BMW vehicle for your Corona commutes, you’re probably eager to start enjoying the convenience of keyless entry with the BMW key fob. If you’re new to BMW vehicles and need to know how to program a BMW key in order to get started, you’ve come to the right place! There are two basic methods for programming the BMW key fob – one to follow when you already have a programmed key but need to set up additional keys, and one to follow when you’re starting fresh without a programmed key. Explore the details of how to program a BMW key with BMW of Murrieta, below!
How to Program Additional BMW Key Fobs
If you already have a programmed BMW key fob and need to program additional keys, follow these simple steps:
- Take the programmed BMW key fob and the additional keys you wish to program into the car with you, ensuring all doors and windows are shut.
- Put the programmed key into the ignition, and turn it to position 1. Upon doing so, the dash lights and accessories should illuminate and turn on.
- Turn the key back and remove it from the ignition.
- On the programmed key, hold down the unlock button while simultaneously pressing the lock button (the BMW logo) three times, then release the unlock button. Your car doors should automatically lock and unlock.
- On the new key you wish to program, press and hold the unlock button while pressing the lock button three times, then release the unlock button. Your doors should lock and unlock on their own again, signaling that the programming was successful.
How to Program a New BMW Key Fob from Scratch
Follow along with these simple instructions if you need to program a brand new BMW key fob for the first time at home in Riverside:
- Insert the new key into the ignition, turning it to position 1 and back toward yourself rapidly five times.
- Fully remove the key from the ignition.
- Press and hold the unlock button while simultaneously pressing the lock button (the BMW logo) three times, then release the unlock button.
- If you wish to program more than one key while you’re at it, you’ll need to repeat step three with the additional key(s) within 30 seconds of programming the first key.
- Complete the process by turning the key in the ignition all the way to the on position.
Visit BMW of Murrieta for Additional Help
The step-by-step instructions we covered today will work for the vast majority of new BMW models. However, select models may have slightly different BMW key programmer methods. If you run into any issues along the way, the service experts at BMW of Murrieta are always here to help. We’re conveniently located near Ontario, and we’d be happy to walk you through the BMW key programming process in person. If it turns out you need a BMW key fob replacement or a new BMW key battery, consult with our on-site parts department.
Have lingering questions in the meantime or need information on other BMW topics, like BMW ConnectedDrive, updating BMW software, or the proper BMW tire pressure? Don’t hesitate to contact us!
More from BMW of Murrieta
Not only are Corona drivers raving about the 2020 BMW X7, but so is the automotive press. From the impressive BMW X7 performance specs to the posh interior, the BMW X7 reviews sing the praises of this luxury full-size Sports Activity Vehicle. Take a look at a handful of the great BMW X7 reviews with…
The 2020 BMW X5 is as stylish inside as it is outside. In case you have any doubts as to its comfort level, feature highlights include a premium Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System and a large panoramic moonroof for sweeping skyward views as you cruise through Corona. Read on to learn more about the…
If you’re shopping for a Sports Activity Vehicle® (SAV) that’s not only stylish but durable, consider the BMW X5. The 2020 BMW X5 towing capacity starts at 6,603 pounds. By adding the BMW X5 tow package, which includes the BMW tow hitch, you can increase the BMW X5 towing capacity to 7,200 pounds! With that…